Students applying to the graduate program in Disaster & Emergency Management must have one of the following:
- An honours degree in Emergency Management or equivalent, with at least a B+ average.
- An honours degree or equivalent (minimum B+) with at least one of the following: a certificate in Emergency Management; a post-graduate College certificate in Emergency Management; completion of core York undergraduate courses in Emergency Management; successful completion of a comprehensive exam on emergency management administered by York; or extensive experience in the field.
Applicants who have an honours degree with a B+ average but do not have sufficient background in disaster and emergency management are admitted to the program conditional to the passing of an introductory online Disaster & Emergency Management course run by our program. The course is normally offered between June and August and has an enrollment fee of approx. $1000. Students must obtain a minimum grade of B- (70%) to pass this course. Applicants who cannot meet this requirement will not be admitted to the program.
All applicants must submit the below listed supplementary documents along with the online application found on the admissions homepage:
- An up-to-date Resume
- Supplementary application form
- Three letters of reference (preferably to include a least one academic reference)
- Statement of Interest (approximately 500 words explaining why you are interested in the program, what lead you to apply, what your future goals are etc.)
- Sample of written work, including a personal attestation that the work is yours.
Please visit futurestudents.yorku.ca/graduate/programs/disaster-and-emergency-management for further details on the admission requirements for this program.